ETI member Arco has produced a position paper on the UK’s response to Covid-19, which makes a number of recommendations .for ensuring we are better prepared as a nation for any future Pandemics.
The report was cited in a Westminster Hall debate by Emma Hardy MP on the National Audit Office (NAO) report into procurement during the Covid-19 pandemic. Following the session, Emma Hardy sent a letter to the Cabinet Office parliamentary secretary, Julia Lopez MP, urging the Government to give the Arco report and its findings proper consideration.
- Registration of competent PPE suppliers to be allowed to supply Cat II and Cat III products, ensuring product compliance and quality.
- The Department of Health and Social Care to conduct a thorough review and stress test of its systems from the perspective of suppliers and buyers.
- Reform of the Government’s purchasing portal to screen out unsuitable, or unqualified, companies.
- An education programme to upskill NHS Trusts, local authorities and care home procurement officers in how to understand PPE standards and source and purchase suitable equipment.
- The Government to publish a roadmap for the full reimplementation of the PPE Regulations, to reduce the likelihood of poor quality or ineffective products entering the UK.
To see the full report visit www.arco.co.uk/recommendations